This is the required training course which must be completed in full prior to enrolling in the Certified First Responder Associate Certification Exam.
Congratulations on your decision to make this investment in your training, and in your choice to help First Responders in a non-licensed counselor role.
We support First Responders in everything they do for others, and we know that they experience repeated trauma on the job, which can affect them professionally and personally, physically and mentally / emotionally. Not just everyone is right for working with a First Responder -- they need specialty trained resource providers who "get" them. You're about to become one of those resource providers.
Here's some of what you will learn in the Cultural Competency for First Responder Counselors 40-hour training course:
1) Difficult stories - which will prepare you for those you will hear in your role;
2) The real goal(s) of working with First Responders;
3) The importance of trust & confidentiality
4) Ethics and Responsibilities of a First Responder Associate.
5) An In-Depth Look at Responder Culture
6) Escapist Behaviors & Negative Coping Skills
7) Relationships of First Responders / Family
8) The Things They See, Hear, Feel, Smell, Taste, etc.
9) An In-Depth Look at Trauma
10) The Triad of Physical, Mental & Emotional Health
11) Behavioral Health Concerns in First Responders
12) Compassion Fatigue of a Responder and a First Responder Associate
13) Burnout of a Responder and a First Responder Associate
14) Suicide - In Detail & Depth
15) First Responder Associate Self-Care
16) Reporting vs. Non-Reporting
17) Do's & Don't's of a First Responder Associate
18) The Ride-Along & First-Hand Experience
19) Treatment options for a Responder
20) Resources and Providers
21) The Effects of Meditation & Yoga on Responders
22) Joining and Building the Network of Support
23) Accusations, Investigations and Public Criticism
24) A Holistically Healthy Responder (Financial, Nutritional, Spiritual, Physical, Emotional, Mental, Social, Relational)
25) A First Responder Associate’s Ongoing Relationship With a Responder for New Incidents
26) Changing the Culture of First Responder Mental Health
27) Line of Duty Death vs. Responder Suicide
The training content is released gradually, a session at a time, over the first 40 days of the 100 day access. Once you reach Day 40, you will see that you have access to everything (Days 1-40) and you will continue to have access to all of this content through the end of your 100-day access period. It is highly recommended that you view each post more than once, taking the time to learn new things and process new thoughts each time. Much like when you watch a movie twice and see things the 2nd time that you did not notice the first, you may learn something different each time you review a post.
Each new post will have a "Downloadable Worksheet" - these accumulate to form your program workbook and what you can use later as a reference manual in your office. Because you only have access to the online classroom for 100 days, we recommend you take substantial and extensive notes, a process which also helps you learn and retain the information.
Each section includes a quiz, which helps you to see how much you're learning and also helps reiterate the material for better retention.
Any counselor may participate in this training program. However, only those in counseling roles may take the CFRA Examination and earn the CFRA credentials.
Once you complete this training program, if you choose to pursue the Certified First Responder Associate Certification, you will enroll in the CFRA Certification Exam, which will have 50 multiple-choice, True/False, and fill-in-the-blank questions, covering all parts of the training course.
You may ask questions at any time by sending an email to: [email protected].
If you are a counselor student, intern, certified counselor, counselor still under supervision or practicum hours, etc., and are working toward being a fully and independently licensed counselor, you may, at time of final licensure, apply the tuition amount you paid for the 40-hour course toward the 50-hour course, go through the entire program (40 hours of previous content), and then you may enroll in the Certified First Responder Counselor Certification Exam.
If you would like to enroll in this program but make 3 payments of $150 instead of 1 payment, CLICK HERE.
NOTE: It is not necessary to have a PayPal account to checkout. Click on the yellow PayPal button, and then choose "Pay with Credit or Debit card."